I decided last night I needed to study up on Elite Series newcomer Wesley Strader. Steve Bowman and I are covering him this morning, and we followed him yesterday as well.
Strader is currently sitting in first place here at Kentucky Lake with 59 pounds 9 ounces and a 13 ounce lead over Skeet Reese.
I already liked the fellow Tennessee Volunteer, and enjoyed his sense of humor. The native of Spring City, Tenn. is 46 years old and he was a tour pro at FLW for 21 years before moving to the Elite Series this year. Here are some details on his FLW career, where he had 17 Cup appearances:
- 273 tournaments
- $1,572,098 in earnings
- 3 wins
- 42 top tens
- 5th place finish on Kentucky Lake in May 2002
- 33 tournament (mostly Opens)
- 3 Elite tournaments
- 2 Bassmaster Classics
- 1 win, at the Bass Pro Shops Southern Open on Kissimmee in 2016
- 6 top ten finishes (that could change to 7 today)
- Current spot in AOY: 24. He and Skeet Reese both have 227 points, but total weight is the tie breaker and Reese has more weight
- Previous Elite finishes: 31 at Lake Martin, 74 at Grand Lake
- Family: Stephanie (wife), Madison (daughter)
- Hobbies: deer hunting, duck hunting
Total tournaments as a pro: 306
Total earnings as a pro: $1,764,818
Some of those key numbers could get a nice boost if he can retain the lead here on Championship Monday.