The local host for the May 5-8 Pride of Georgia recently compiled some interesting facts about the competition fishery, West Point Lake. Offered by the LaGrange-Troup County Chamber of Commerce and Bureau of Tourism:
- West Point Lake is one of Georgia’s largest lakes at 25,900 acres and with 525 miles of shoreline.
- It is the only lake in the United States without commercial navigation but with lighted buoys, making it easily navigable for nighttime boating and fishing.
- Formed by the Flood Control Act of 1962, West Point Lake is unique in that it was authorized by Congress for sportfishing, wildlife development and general recreation.
- The lake is operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE).
- The Corps’ strict shoreline management plan has created a substantial natural buffer between the lake and area development, creating a filter of sorts by which the lake can naturally clean itself.
- Boat launching ramps are located in 34 public recreation areas around the lake.
- Two privately operated marinas are located on the lake.
For more information about the area, visit http://www.lagrangechamber.com/ or call 706-884-8671.