Before I get into my gift ideas I'd like to take time to send our thoughts and prayers to Newtown, Conn., and Sandy Hook Elementary School. My family and i are praying for the victims, their families and the entire town of Newtown.
We're out in Colorado for a meeting with the Wright & McGill and TroKar people. We got here a little early and got a chance to spend a couple of days skiing up in the mountains. It's the first real ski trip we've taken where the kids can ski as well. Skiing is my favorite thing to do outside of fishing and hunting. The kids enjoyed the mountain, and we're ready to head back and prepare for the holidays and then the 2013 season.
With Christmas about a week away, time is getting short to pick up a gift for the angler in your life. The absolute best gift you can give any loved one is time together fishing. Memories from trips out on the water with family are lifelong and something I cherish. I know you can't wrap that and put it under the tree, so I have a few ideas that can still make the angler in your life happy. Here are the five gifts:
1. A B.A.S.S. membership, which includes a subscription to Bassmaster Magazine: With Bassmaster, you'll be giving them the information to catch more fish, plus lots of cool new product ideas.
2. Costa sunglasses: With Costas, you're getting the top of the line sunglasses for any fisherman. If you don't know a design or style, find a retailer near you and get a gift card.
3. Wright and McGill rod or reel: Giving the gift of fishing is something someone will take with them for life. With quality rods and reels at affordable prices, Wright and McGill tackle is perfect for bass anglers of all skill levels, from a new angler to an experienced professional.
4. Tightlines UV Kit: A Tightlines UV kit is the perfect introduction for any angler into better fishing through UV. The 40-piece kit comes with a great selection of UV baits to catch fish in any situation. The Pro Kit includes 240-pieces and a travel box that would look great under any angler's tree.
5. Gift Card: A Mondo Tackle gift card is a great gift for any angler. Mondo carries everything any fisherman would ever want. I'd suggest a Mesu Baits Brent Chapman Fultter Spoon or two, but the great part of a gift card is they can buy whatever they need or want.
I’d like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. Be sure to spend as much time as you can with the loved ones in your life, and hug those kids. Let Newtown remind us all of how cherished our children are and be sure to enjoy every minute with them.