They say money can’t buy happiness, and of course that’s true. But $3.4 million can buy a little piece of heaven in central Alabama, just outside the town of Pintlala and a short drive from the state capitol in Montgomery.
While the sticker price may carry too many zeroes for most of us, you can bet that someone, somewhere is salivating at the opportunity to purchase the property that holds “America’s best bass lake” and “a deer hunter’s paradise.”
The estate known as “Legacy Lakes” is the creation of Ray Scott, the founder of B.A.S.S. and the Whitetail Institute of North America. It is an expression not only of his tastes and appreciation of nature, but of his passion for fishing and hunting.
Let’s take stock of the property the way a real estate listing agent might do it:
- · 200+/- acres in Montgomery County, Alabama, near the town of Pintlala and 17 miles from downtown Montgomery, Alabama’s capital.
- · 74+/- acres of intensively managed fishing lakes, including the 55-acre Presidents Lake and 14-acre Red Eagle Lake maintained with a population of all-female Florida-strain largemouth bass.
- · 80+/- acres of high-fenced enclosure featuring Canadian-genetic whitetail deer that are diligently managed.
- · Among the improvements to the property are a 4,976 square foot ranch-style home built in 1986 and decorated in “rustic elegance.” The house has four bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms and a two-car garage. The great room is dominated by a massive fieldstone fireplace and whitetail chandelier personally commissioned by Ray Scott.
- · The nearby boat house has a spacious upstairs loft area for guests. A winding path from the main house leads to a rustic two-bedroom guest cabin.
- · 1.5 miles of paved roadway from the public highway to the main residence.
- · List price: $3,400,000.
Now let’s size it up on legend and history:
- · In 2010, Outdoor Life designated The Presidents Lake the best bass lake in America.
- · George H.W. Bush (Bush 41) has fished there and slept in the guest cottage many times.
- · George W. Bush (Bush 43) has fished there and slept in the guest cottage.
- · Four-time Bassmaster Classic champion Rick Clunn caught the biggest bass of his life from The Presidents Lake, a 13-pound, 15-ounce lunker.
- · Many of the country’s top fishing pros have fished The Presidents Lake (often in fundraising competitions) as well as celebrities ranging from Jett Williams (daughter of Hank) to aviation legend Chuck Yeager.
- · Owning Legacy Lakes: Priceless.