FERNANDINA BEACH, Fla. — Southwick Associates' AnglerSurvey.com announced the brands and products anglers purchased most frequently in 2010. This list has been compiled from the 31,082 Internet-based surveys completed by anglers who volunteered to participate last year in AnglerSurvey.com polls. In 2010, the top brands were:
- Top rod brand: Shakespeare (12% of all purchases)
- Top reel brand: Shimano (19.4% of all purchases)
- Top rod and reel combo brand: Shakespeare (23.6% of all purchases)
- Top fishing line producer: Berkley (12.8% of all purchases)
- Top hard bait brand: Rapala (25.7% of all purchases)
- Top soft bait brand: Zoom (13.3% of all purchases)
- Top spinnerbait brand: Strike King (16.7% of all purchases)
- Top hook brand: Eagle Claw/Lazer Sharp (28% of all purchases)
- Top sinker brand: generic (29.7%), Water Gremlin (12% of all purchases)
- Top fly rod brand: LL Bean (25.6% of all purchases)
- Top fly reel brand: Orvis (17.5% of all purchases)
- Top fly combo brand: Pfleuger (6.5% of all purchases)
- Top fly line brand: Rio (32.1% of all purchases)
- Top fly leader brand: Rio (31.2% of all purchases)
- Top fly-tying material brand: Wapsi (14% of all purchases)
- Top fishfinder or sonar brand: Humminbird (34.7% of all purchases)
- Top tackle box brand: Plano (45.5% of all purchases)
- Top landing net brand: Frabill (33.4% of all purchases)
- Top fishing knife brand: Rapala (22.4% of all purchases)
* Largemouth bass remain the No. 1 targeted species of freshwater fish, with 48% of fishing activity targeting largemouth bass. * Saltwater anglers were more varied, with 24% of trips targeting any fish that bites, followed by striped bass (23%), redfish/red drum/channel bass (23%), spotted seatrout or weakfish (20%) and flounder (19%).
Please note: These refer to species targeted on trips and not the number of fish actually caught. The marketing data presented here is a summary of a 133-page report that details consumer behavior, including what products and brands are purchased, where they are bought, how much customers spend and demographics of freshwater and saltwater anglers broken out by each product category.
Current information about what gear and brands anglers prefer, how many days they spend on the water and what type of fishing they enjoy most is vital to businesses trying to build their customer base.
You can stay abreast of consumer buying patterns and overall market trends by purchasing an annual subscription to Southwick Associates' monthly AnglerSurvey.com reports. Reports are available for specific product categories, including fishing rods, reels, line, lures, tackle, electronics, apparel, fly fishing, ice fishing gear and more. To purchase your subscription, contact Rob Southwick.