1. A little history
Douglas Lake was created in 1943 when the Tennessee Valley Authority dammed the French Broad River for flood control and hydroelectric power generation purposes. The lake covers more than 30,000 surface acres at full pool and has over 500 miles of shoreline. It was named for Douglas Bluff, a cliff overlooking the dam site prior to construction.