LAKE MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Stanley Mitchell of Fitzgerald, Ga., recorded a final weight of 35 pounds, 2 ounces to win the 11th Bassmaster Classic.
His winning weight was only 15 ounces heavier than the runner-up, Harold Allen, but was enough to take home the $40,000 prize.
Classic XI featured a number of innovations, including increased prize money: a total payout of $101,000.
It was the first tournament ever held in the hometown of BASS World Headquarters.
The event also began a string of indoor weigh-ins, with Classic contenders being towed into the Montgomery Civic Center in their Classic rigs.
• Stanley Mitchell became (and remains) the Classic's youngest champion at just 21 years of age.
• Mitchell was a former all-state high school football player in Georgia.
• The 1981 Classic was the first to offer the anglers a second practice day.
Top 6 finishers
1. Stanley Mitchell Fitzgerald, Ga. 35-02
2. Harold Allen Milam, Texas 34-03
3. Jack Chancellor Phenix City, Ala. 29-02
4. Rick Clunn Montgomery, Texas 21-11
5. Ray Meredith Indianapolis, Ind. 20-06
6. Gregory Ward Butler, Mo. 16-06