PIKE ROAD, Ala. -- Lake Cameron is a special place for several reasons.
First of all, the bass fishing on this gem of a lake in Alabama is nothing short of spectacular.
For another, it's the location for the Hope for the Warriors tournament featuring the 12 anglers who qualified for BASS' second postseason and a dozen Warriors who have served our nation in peace and war.
"These men (the Warriors) do what they do so we can live our lives in safety and security," two-time Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Angler of the Year Gary Klein said. "Because of them, we can earn a living by chasing little green fish."
BASS event announcer Keith Alan, put the tournament in perspective. "This is all about these brave veterans who have given so much for our country. We want them to have a great time out on the water."
And they did. Most left after landing the largest bass of their lives. They reported enjoying their time on the lake fishing and the camaraderie of someone who looks up to them and appreciates their service to our country.
Tommy Biffle and Ryan Anderson won the event with an 8-pound, 3-ounce lunker.
For bragging rights and memories, here are the final standings:
1. Tommy Biffle/Ryan Anderson 8-3
2. Edwin Evers/Timothy Murray 7-13
3. Aaron Martens/Bob Cauthon 7-7
4. Kevin VanDam/Jacque Keeslar 6-14
5. Cliff Pace/Frank Armenta 6-12
6. Russ Lane/John Lightsey 6-3
7. Greg Hackney/Lance Hickman 6-2
8. Terry Butcher/Joshua McDaniel 5-11
9. Derek Remitz/Jon Lujan 5-7
10. John Crews/Gene Edgington 5-6
11. Gary Klein/Sean Debevoise 5-2
12. Skeet Reese/Henry Drake 3-10