Photo by Don Barone
You may have seen in an earlier post that I was pulled into emergency Marshal service because Kevin Short's Marshal didn't show up. In the photo, that's Kevin on the left and me on the right, shortly before the Day 3 weigh-in. This was my first time working as a Marshal. It was a cool experience despite the fact that it rained the entire 9 hours we were on the water. My Carhartt rain gear kept me dry and I got to watch an Elite angler up close and personal. Here are a few things I learned today:
- When riding in a boat going 65 miles-per-hour, raindrops feel like birdshot pellets hitting your face.
- Kevin did not take a break the entire day. He was relentless, and at the same time methodical and patient, mentioning several times the importance of slowing down. For me, he was the consumate pro.
- Despite long chunks of time, 2-3 hours without a fish bite, Kevin kept a positive attitude and a good sense of humor.
- Kevin does not eat much while fishing. For the 9 hours we were on the water, he ate one protein bar and drank about 10 ounces of water.
- If you'd like to sign up to be an Elite series Marshal, click here.
Thanks for a great day Kevin!